This program is not currently accepting new students.
NHTI's Recreation and Leisure Studies degree program provides you the opportunity to gain entry-level employment in the recreation and leisure industry. You'll examine the recreational needs of a community and foster leadership skills to work with diverse populations. Time management, organizational skills, and managing activities are emphasized.
Graduates are able to:
- Understand the historical and current context of leisure and recreation.
- Create, plan, implement, and evaluate a recreation activity program for a designated community.
- Develop effective communication and leadership skills in working in leisure and recreation environments.
- Educate others on the value and benefits of recreation and leisure for personal growth and fulfillment.
- Identify risk management concerns in recreation program development.
- Evaluate career pathways in the recreation and leisure industry.
Employment opportunities have expanded in many areas including municipal parks and recreation departments, non-profit organizations such as YMCA, and medical institutions. There are many career paths to pursue with a degree in Recreation and Leisure Studies. Through the advisement process, faculty work with students to assist in course selection based on transfer or career interest.