Introduces the student to nutrition as it relates to the improvement or optimization of physical performance. Dietary interventions for strength and endurance exercise training and sporting event participation will be thoroughly investigated. Special emphasis will be placed on weight management: the reduction, maintenance, and gain of body mass. (Course is intended for science majors).
Upon completion of this course, students will:
- Employ basic concepts of diet planning and evaluate personal dietary habits.
- Describe the classification of, normal metabolism of, and recommended intakes and appropriate food sources of each of the following major nutrient classes as they relate to endurance and strength training: carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, vitamins, minerals, and water.
- Analyze weight management techniques, including the role of diet and exercise for the loss, gain and maintenance of body mass.
- Explain the metabolism of macronutrients during aerobic and anaerobic activities and the role of micronutrients in these energy pathways.
- Research and analyze popular ergogenic aids.