Fundamental laws and concepts of chemistry, including elements, atomic structure, the periodic table, chemical bonding, compounds, chemical equations, and stoichiometry. Laboratories reinforce concepts presented in lectures and develop skills in scientific thought and common procedures used in chemical experimentation. With CHEM 103C, intended to provide a foundation for further study in life sciences and physical sciences.
high school Chemistry with lab with a grade of C or higher
Upon completion of this course, students will:
- Demonstrate proper laboratory techniques and skills.
- Employ mathematical concepts to manipulate chemical data.
- Compare and contrast the characteristics and behaviors of states of matter, solutions, acids, bases, buffers, and salts.
- Describe laws of thermodynamics, gas laws, enthalpy and entropy, and equilibrium constants.
- Connect chemical principles to human endeavors.