Search for Available CoursesRegister for This Course
Introduces the dental advanced functions to dental assisting students. Includes instruction in basic instrumentation concepts, removal of coronal cement, application of pit and fissure sealants, suture removal, coronal polishing, expanded orthodontic functions, and the monitoring of nitrous oxide sedation. Preclinical skills will be introduced on mannequins and competency skills on patients. Advanced Dentrix computer applications will also be included. (Prerequisites: ADED 105C, ADED 110C, ADED 161C, ADED 175C, ADED 191C.)
Students must pass all prerequisite courses with a grade of C or higher.
- Provide a patient with a tray or varnish fluoride treatment.
- Demonstrate the ability to anticipate the needs of a dentist during a restorative procedure.
- Maintain a chain of asepsis when cleaning prosthetic appliance.
- Use a sturdy and safe fulcrum during instrumentation.
- Sit in the proper position to effectively treat a specified sextant of a patient’s mouth.
- Explain the theory behind selective polishing.
- Demonstrate the placement of sealants.
- Demonstrate the safe monitoring of nitrous oxide.
- Identify specialty practice instruments.
- Demonstrate placement of a rubber dam and explain the reasons for utilization.
- Fabricate and finish provisional coverage.
- Remove and account for sutures.
- Describe the symptoms and treatment of alveolitis.
- Demonstrate the use of the intraoral camera.
- Demonstrate expanded orthodontic duties procedures.
- Describe the expanded duties qualifications for the traditional dental assistant, Certified Dental Assistant (CDA), and Graduate Dental Assistant of a CODA accredited dental assisting program.