Advanced-level course including assessment, paramedic diagnosis, and treatment for all special populations including ob/gyn, pediatric, geriatric, psychiatric, chronic disease, patients with special needs. Pediatric Advanced Life Support certification (PALS) is an integral part of the course.
All first-year PEM courses
- Discuss the assessment, recognition, and management of common OB/GYN emergencies, childbirth, and care of the newly born.
- Describe the prehospital assessment, recognition, and management of common pediatric emergencies consistent with Pediatric Advanced Life Support.
- Describe the patterns of emergencies and pathologies in the geriatric population.
- Discuss the special considerations and EMS strategies for managing patients with issues related to hearing, vision, speech, mobility, and obesity.
- Describe the EMS approach to caring for patients with the chronic care diseases of cancer, traumatic brain injury, renal failure, and hospice or homecare patients.
- Recognize and manage patients experiencing psychiatric and behavioral emergencies and those experiencing abuse and/or neglect.
- Demonstrate mastery of knowledge as required by the National EMS Educational Standards.