Introduces the basic techniques of oil painting, concentrating on the principles of color and light. Using a variety of subject matter, students will explore the problems of pictorial composition, color theory, oil-related mediums, and techniques.
- Understand basic tools and traditional methods of oil painting.
- Synthesize drawing and composition through preliminary studies to the finished paintings.
- Translate light and interpret value and color through observation and practiced applications.
- Use traditional preparatory and under-painting methods, as well as layered and direct painting.
- Understand the tradition of painting and its genres with respect to still life, portrait, and landscape
- Critique artwork using formal analysis and historical perspectives.