Students will examine the financial relationship of the food and beverage aspect of the hotel industry. Topics covered are marketing, food purchase controls, production, service, management of bar and beverage, sales techniques, and sanitation.
- Gain working knowledge of food and beverage terminology.
- Understand the distinction between restaurant chains, franchises, independents, and private clubs.
- Know the differences between seasonal, noncommercial, and catering operations.
- Understand menu structure in relation to operations
- Understand the sanitation aspect of the industry including: cleaning, sanitizing, and maintaining equipment; refrigeration, and the Health Department’s role in equipment sanitation.
- Know the responsibilities of a leader in the hospitality industry in relation to guidelines for supervisors.
- Understand the history of alcoholic beverages, including terminology, fermentation, distillation, and safety.