Intended to satisfy the chemistry admission requirement for NHTI health-related degree and certificate programs. Consideration will be given to fundamental atomic theory, chemical arithmetic, kinetic theory, solution chemistry, acids, bases and salts, and introductory organic chemistry. Lab included. Proficiency with the mathematical operations of high school Algebra I or MATH 092C strongly recommended. (For institutional credit only; does not count toward graduation requirements but is calculated into GPA; not intended for transfer.)
Upon completion of this course, students will:
- Apply the scientific method.
- Demonstrate proper laboratory techniques and skills.
- Employ dimensional analysis to solve mathematical chemical problems.
- Use the periodic table of the elements to predict properties and trends of elements.
- Explain physical and chemical properties of matter, chemical bonds, and reactions.
- Explain how energy changes occur in chemical reactions and systems.